How to Listen to a CR Podcast
URBAN MYTH: An iPod is needed to listen to a podcast.
REALITY: A podcast can be listened to on a computer (PC or Mac) or on any mp3 player—not just an iPod. If a podcast is shorter than 80 minutes, it can also be burned to a CD and listened to using any CD player.
Subscribe to the Podcast
To subscribe to the CR magazine podcast click here or start iTunes, open the Advanced menu, select Subscribe to podcast… and copy www.crmagazine.org/podcasts/feed.xml into the open box. When you’re finished, click OK.
Once subscribed, you can configure iTunes to check automatically for a new episode each time you open iTunes. Open the Edit menu, select Preferences and click on the Podcasts tab. After making your selections, click OK. To manually check for a new episode of a podcast, right-mouse click (Mac users: Control+click) on the podcast name in iTunes and select Update Podcast.
On a CR podcast page, simply click on the play arrow under LISTEN Online and wait for the file to start playing. You can stop the podcast with the pause button and change the volume with the volume control. Please note that it might take several minutes to load the podcast. Depending on your internet connection speed, it is possible that the podcast could begin playing and then pause as your computer is waiting to download the rest of the podcast.
Download the Podcast to Listen Later
PC Users: Right-mouse click on the podcast icon () and select Save target as… in Internet Explorer. If you’re using Firefox, right-mouse click on the CR podcast icon and choose Save Link As. Once the download of the podcast is complete, double-click on the file and it will start playing in the default media player of your PC.
Mac Users: Hold down the Control key and click on the podcast icon (). Next, Safari users choose Download Linked File or Save Linked File to...; Firefox users choose Save Link As; Internet Explorer users select Download link to disk; Netscape users select Save Link As and choose Format – Source. Once the download of the podcast is complete, double-click on the file and it will start playing in the default media player of your Mac.
Burn the Podcast to a CD
1. Download the podcast to your PC or Mac.
2. Open iTunes, click on the File menu and choose Add File to Library…. Search for where you saved the podcast on your computer, click on the file, and then click on the Open button.
3. Create a playlist in iTunes (click on the plus button in the bottom left of iTunes and name the playlist) and then click on the Library icon under Source in the left-hand portion of iTunes. Drag the podcast(s) that you want into your playlist.
4. Once finished, click on your playlist and then click on the Burn Disc icon in the upper-right portion of iTunes.
5. Insert a blank CD-R disc and click Burn Disc again.
6. After iTunes finishes burning your playlist to the CD (this will take several minutes), take the CD out and play it in any CD player.
TIP: Be certain that iTunes is configured to burn CDs as audio CDs so that the completed CD will play in any CD player. To check this:
1. Choose Edit > Preferences, then click the Advanced tab at the top of the window and click Burning.
2. Choose Audio CD as the Disc Format.
3. Click OK.
For more information on podcasts, visit the Wikipedia site: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Podcast or check out iTunes' tutorial for podcasts: http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/windows/tutorial/index.html
To download iTunes, visit: www.apple.com/itunes/download
To download an alternative to iTunes (available for both Mac and PC), try the podcatcher named Juice: juicereceiver.sourceforge.net/index.php